grad school thesis
In January and February 2019, an invitation from Grammarly was sent to eligible students’ Umail accounts with the sign-in process.
- grammar and sentence structure correction
- suggestions for clarity and readability
- plagiarism and citation checks
- individualized writing feedback
The Thesis and Dissertation Office assists graduate students in the formatting, editing, and depositing of their theses. Our staff will consult with you to ensure that your thesis is ready for defense.
Our website provides many resources for students, such as templates, copyright information, official policies, deadlines, and more.
- to show students resources for research approval and understanding of copyright
- to demonstrate how to use iThenticate to validate the work
- to outline the approval process
- to ensure that theses and dissertations conform to the formatting requirements of the University of Tennessee
- to provide guidance in submitting the work to Trace
- to simplify the completion of the Survey of Earned Doctorates
- to explain the policies around the public availability of theses and dissertations
For all doctoral candidates and many master’s candidates, the creation of the dissertation or thesis is the capstone of their graduate career and signifies the completion of the requirements for graduation. The Graduate School will help students in this process to keep it as smooth and worry-free as possible. The Thesis/Dissertation Consultant is available to assist in many areas:
These guidelines provide students at Vanderbilt University with essential information about how to prepare and submit theses and dissertations in a format acceptable to the Graduate School. You can either explore the guidelines by topic below or review the complete Format Guidelines document.
The Vanderbilt Libraries have recently implemented VIREO, an Electronic Thesis & Dissertation review and submission system for the Graduate School. The Graduate School requires electronic submission of all theses and dissertations through this new platform. Format reviews now occur within the VIREO submission process. If you have questions or would like an in-person format review, contact administrators.
It is important to recognize the distinction between electronic submission and electronic publication.
An Electronic Thesis or Dissertation (ETD) is the same as its paper counterpart in content and organization and meets the formatting requirements described in the Format Manual for Theses and Dissertations.